Performing digital marketing can be challenging with the ever-changing phases that come with it. We put together a list of helpful digital marketing acronyms and terms to know for all current and upcoming digital specialists.
Google ads can be like learning a whole new language.
Reading marketing reports and understanding the data from the PPC (Pay Per Click) ads just got easier with this quick list.
- PPC is a bid option on Google search ads; pay per click is the most common way to set up paid search ads.
- CPA cost per acquisition, the amount spent to acquire a new customer, lead, or other conversions. CPA is calculated as the total number of conversions divided by advertising spending.
- Compare that to cost per click or CPC, a click by a potential lead or customer on the paid search listing or ad on the Google Ads platform is different than an acquisition.
- CPM is also a cost per but, in this case, is the cost per 1000 impressions and is a bidding option for brand awareness campaigns.
- The CTR Click-through rate is the percentage out of the total impressions clicked. The higher the click-through rate, the better. 6% is better than 1%, and depending on the industry or product, 6% or above is a good CTR.
- CPV is the cost per video view. This acronym you might see in a YouTube ad report.
- And finally, ROAS, Return on Ad Spend, is the total amount attributed to the advertising spent by measuring the lifetime value of a client or customer acquired through ads, for example.
- For more on this subject, look into Google’s online training.
Facebook Ad Terms to help you navigate its unique ad processes.
- Facebook’s Business Manager is the place to start a paid ad campaign on this platform. The Business Manager can set up billing and payments for ads and permissions for agencies and users. It can make it easier to see everything in one place when trying to find anything on Facebook business start on the business manager section.
- The Ad Manager creates and sets up each ad. Ad Manager is different from the Business Manager. Think of the Business Manager for all business processes and the Ads manager for the building, launching, optimizing, and reporting ads.
- Ad Objective There can be different objectives for each campaign on Facebook. For example, the Engagement goal promotes and optimizes for a better audience each time an ad receives clicks, likes, and shares. The Leads objective is for lead-generating ads promoting a product or service. The website traffic objective should be selected if there is a need to drive traffic from Facebook ads to a website or Shopify site.
- Ad Format is the type of ad content such as photos, video, or stories that will require a different setup, image dimensions, and copy such as headline, description, and call to action copy. Facebook has directions and specifications for each type of ad format here on Facebook’s Ad Guide.
- Draft An ad that has been saved but not yet published.
- Published A published Facebook Ad is in Review for up to 24 hours but, once approved, will be live on Facebook displaying in placements such as the Feed or on the sidebar.
- Learning Status When a Facebook ad is first published, the algorithm has to find the right audience. The amount of time can depend on the number of engagements the algorithm requires for the ad. Once out of learning mode, the full results of the ad are achieved.
TikTok has unique terms that helped it evolve into today’s highly segmented platform.
A Creator refers to anyone on TikTok creating and sharing content. Creators can generate content without prior experience, and publishing content can be as easy as using a mobile phone.
Sound is one of the primary ways to make sure a TikTok video is widespread, and most creators pay as much attention to the sound as to the visuals.
- Many sounds have become so popular there are 100s of videos created using the same sound.
- Creating an original sound for a video and making it public means anyone on TikTok can use it.
Video content on TikTok is unique to the platform, with challenges, dances, and filters being just a few of the special types of videos on the social media site.
- One example of video content strategy used often is the storytime video. A content creator will tell their own story full of emotion, plot twists, and resolutions based on challenging life experiences.
- Another popular TikTok video meme is the surprise video where a family member is surprised with a happy moment such as an unexpected gift or a visit from a long-lost family member.
If you would like help launching a new digital campaign or have questions about any digital marketing campaign projects, please call us at 210-858-7295 or fill out our contact form.