The role of a PPC (Pay-Per-Click) Specialist is a difficult one to fill. The best PPC Specialists possess a combination of data analysis skills, experience, and intuition that guides them to craft successful digital campaigns.
Whether you’re a PPC Specialist looking for guidance, or a business owner interested in knowing what to look for in a digital marketer hire, these are some of the top skills to pay attention to:
User experience (UX) is everything in digital marketing. Part of a successful strategy is making sure everyone who clicks on your ads has a positive experience at every step of the PPC funnel. From broad scope ads, to retargeting, to landing pages and finally conversions, a good PPC Specialist will ensure the process is smooth from beginning to end.
This is especially important given the fact that 53% of users will leave a website that takes more than three seconds to load, according to smallbizgenius.net. Perhaps more detrimental, 88% of shoppers would not return to a website after having a bad user experience.
KEY TAKEAWAY: Exceptional PPC Specialists keep UX top of mind when they design campaigns.
PPC Data Analysis
Data is king in the digital world. Correct campaign adjustments and optimizations rely on accurate data analysis. A strong PPC Specialist will be able to look at Key Performance Metrics (KPIs) and dig deeper to see what’s really happening in a campaign.
Some of the steps a PPC Specialist will need to take are:
- Figuring out what data matters most
- Ensuring there is enough data to make judgments and surmise trends
- Conducting drilled-down analyses when necessary to understand what the data is really saying
- Using data to compare results with competitor analyses, when appropriate
KEY TAKEAWAY: The best PPC Specialists not only look at the data but use it to make intelligent optimizations on their campaigns.
Knowledgeable of New Technology
KEY TAKEAWAY: Good PPC Specialists keep their skills sharpened by staying up-to-date on the latest technology.
Customer & Lead Targeting
It takes a tremendous amount of creativity to get customer targeting just right. This is especially true when the product or service is particularly niche in nature. Knowing who to put your ads in front of starts with the basics:
- Know which advertising platforms to use so your target audience sees your ads.
- Do some research into the demographics of your target audience (age, gender, education, employment, marital status, etc.).
- Understand which devices your target audience uses most often (are they typically on a mobile device or on desktop?).
- Perform A/B testing to determine what messaging and graphics resonate best with your target audience.
- Use data to analyze customer behavior—how do your customers go through the PPC funnel? Are there drop-off points? Are there challenges in the flow? What does a typical customer’s path look like from ad to conversion or purchase?
- Perform keyword research regularly to better understand what potential customers are searching for.
- As you learn more about your customers, develop different audience segments to better customize messaging.
KEY TAKEAWAY: The most successful PPC Specialists have the creativity and know-how to target the right audience members by placing ads in digital areas where they will see them.
If you haven’t been paying attention to e-commerce, you’re missing a golden opportunity for growth. The number of e-commerce sales are growing faster than expected, according to eMarketer. In 2021 alone, sales are predicted to grow as much as 18%. This puts its growth on track to surpass 20% of market share by 2024.
What does that mean for PPC? It means a growing need for e-commerce digital advertising. Online businesses will need to compete with more and more competition as we move forward, making it critical for PPC Specialists to know how to market for online sales.
KEY TAKEAWAY: PPC Specialists need to have strong e-commerce knowledge and experience to compete with a growing number of online businesses.
The online world moves fast, and PPC Specialists need to move faster. The ability to adapt digital campaigns quickly to changing markets is essential to good PPC management. Inability to recognize that something on a campaign needs to change can be costly to your campaign’s budget and could result in lost conversions or purchases.
KEY TAKEAWAY: Adapting on the fly and flexibility are cornerstone trademarks of a good PPC Specialist.
Ready to Get Started? So Are We.
It takes a particular set of skills to get digital advertising just right. If you are a business owner looking to up your digital marketing game, Vuepoint’s PPC Specialists can help. Let us start crafting a PPC strategy that’s right for you! Give us a call at (210) 858-7295, or contact us through the online form here.